Rutgers Health is an academically-based health care provider logging over 2.1 million patient visits annually.
As the state’s largest academic health center, Rutgers Health--along with partner RWJBarnabas Health--provides a significant health care advantage. We offer both routine and complex treatments, as well as new cures and advanced therapies. Rutgers Health patients receive a full range of care in more than 200 primary, specialty, and subspecialty areas, from board-certified and specialty-trained physicians and providers. This includes cardiology, behavioral health, neurology, obstetrics and gynecology (OB-GYN) and oncology.
Our best-in-class patient care is underscored by our ongoing commitment to innovative medical research and leading-edge education in the biomedical and health sciences.
A Research Powerhouse
In FY2018 alone:
- Rutgers devoted $706.3 million to research and development, placing it among the nation’s top public universities for R&D expenditures.
- Rutgers received $750.8 million in sponsored research grants and awards.
Such investments attract more faculty and student leaders, deepen research collaborations, and advance health care for the people of New Jersey, further enhancing Rutgers’ reputation as one of the top research institutions:
- #1 in New Jersey, on the College Factual list of Best Colleges Offering Degrees in Health Professions
- #1 in New Jersey, on the U.S. News & World Report list of Best Graduate Schools in Medicine-Primary Care and Research; Nursing-Anesthesiology; Nursing-D.N.P.; Nursing-Master’s; Nursing-Midwifery; Pharmacy; Physical Therapy; Physician Assistant; Public Health; Rehabilitation Counseling
- Home to 300 research centers and institutes statewide, including New Jersey’s only National Cancer Institute-designated Comprehensive Cancer Center, Rutgers Cancer Institute of New Jersey, whose singular mission is to help individuals fight cancer.
- Discoveries translated into new treatment options, with more than 470 clinical trials conducted across 27 sites, some only available here.
An Academic Powerhouse
Rutgers Health also unites the biomedical and health sciences entities of Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, to stand as one of the largest providers of academically-focused health care in the United States.
Staffed by teachers, clinicians, and scientists with unparalleled experience and a dedication to advance medical innovation, the entities that comprise Rutgers Biomedical and Health Science (RBHS) embrace knowledge and compassion to deliver ever-improving health care and education.
This continuous-learning environment teaches tomorrow’s health care providers, informed by the latest treatments and technology that lead to improved outcomes.
- Ernest Mario School of Pharmacy at Rutgers
- Rutgers New Jersey Medical School
- Rutgers Robert Wood Johnson Medical School
- Rutgers School of Dental Medicine
- Rutgers School of Graduate Studies
- Rutgers School of Health Professions
- Rutgers School of Nursing
- Rutgers School of Public Health
Centers and Institutes
- Rutgers Brain Health Institute
- Rutgers Center for Advanced Biotechnology and Medicine
- Rutgers Environmental and Occupational Health Sciences Institute
- Rutgers Institute for Health, Health Care Policy, and Aging Research
- Rutgers Cancer Institute of New Jersey
- Rutgers Institute for Translational Medicine and Science